Tuesday 13 March 2012

SUNSHINE ON A PLATE

In anticipation of summer being just around the corner and a friend saying that she was coming to visit me from South Africa later this year, my spirits were high and I wanted to create something that was as bright and happy as I was feeling.

So supper last night was a simple version of Spanish Paella and it looked like sunshine on a plate and it did not taste too bad either.

I chopped two onions and used a sprinkling of oil from a jar of Roasted Peppers and browned them for a while together with 1 Spanish Ring of Chorizo Sausage which was about 225g in weight.



I then added one chopped green pepper and a jar of the drained Red and Yellow Roasted Peppers (about 280g) and six skinned chicken thighs.

I added no spices, salt, pepper or garlic as the chorizo sausage has so much flavour and this simple dish just did not require it.


When it had all browned nicely, I added two big cups of brown rice.  I love brown rice as it is just has such a nutty flavour and obviously more healthy. However, because the chorizo contains a lot of fat, it probably would not matter too much in this dish if you use white rice.


I added chicken stock to two litres of water and just allowed this to cook slowly stirring occasionally until the rice had doubled in size.  Brown rice does take longer to cook and I left it simmering for about half an hour.


When the liquid had reduced and the rice was almost cooked, I added about a cup of frozen peas and 70g of mixed olives  If I was having friends over, I would also at this stage, add a few prawns as well.



And this was my sunshine on a plate - absolutely delicious with the smoky flavour of the chorizo coming through and so pretty to look at as well.

I only served it with garlic bread because my son loves everything with garlic bread.




Until next time and Happy Cooking to you all always.

Love The Tipsy Tart
xx

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful looking supper - I also always add peas toward the end to keep their colour. I might just give this a try ... ♥

    ReplyDelete