Sunday 4 March 2012

IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GROW AN OLD FRIEND

Odi - My Friend and My Chicken Soup,

We met in a school classroom and who would have guessed that the friendship we started then would still be going strong over 30 years later.

We have always been as different from each other as friends could ever be.

You are the loud and confident friend and I have always been the quiet and shy friend and I suppose that is what has made our friendship work.





We are like yin and yang or the chicken and the pudding -  two friends who both bring different elements to their friendship who both accept each other for who and what they are.

You are the friend that I first always turn to for advice in times of troubles.
 You have been the keeper of my secrets for all these years.
You are my chicken soup when I have just needed a smile or to get some laughter back in my life and you never disappoint me.  You will always find something funny to tell me and no matter how silly, we both end up laughing.
When I am with you, you always bring excitement and craziness into my day and I think I am the friend who brings the quietness after the storm to yours.

 You are the most positive person I have ever met with such high morals and in all our years that we have known each other - you have always found a way of turning all your negatives into positives and I do not think I have ever known you not to smile or have laughter in your voice.


As I am writing this blog today to wish you the best birthday you could possibly wish for yourself - my heart is so sad  knowing that you are on the otherside of the world and I cannot be with you to celebrate with you.






I am not there to give you a hug and to wish you health, happiness and for your family always to be near.  I wish I could give you my special wish for love to come knocking at your door and to remind you to start looking for the hidden key so you can open the door forever.

You are so beautiful as you are - inside and outside and here is a poem for you by Maya Angelou which I found and love so much  :





PHENOMENAL WOMAN

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips
I'm woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet
I'm woman.
Phenomenally
Phenomental woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say I can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman.
That's me.

How you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need for my care.;
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman.
That's me.

YOU ARE THAT PHENOMENAL WOMAN....


So my dear dear friend from across the ocean, I say cheers and wish you all these things and also to say thank you for being that perfect friend that has made the last 30 odd years so much nicer just knowing you have been a part of my life.

If I could make a wish today for just me it would be that one day soon I could be laughing with you again as we did in all these photos and perhaps even sitting on a block of concrete at the Eiffel Tower for three hours watching the world go by because only you could make it so enjoyable all over again......

You are a friend in a million and one of God's blessings and I love you to the moon and back.

From your sweet sweet dessert.
xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. friendship between women is a wonderful gift.....thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete