Wednesday 14 March 2012

PURPLE RASPBERRY CURD


My husband and I have joined the National Trust in the UK compliments of my lovely Mother  It is absolutely wonderful going out on a Saturday with a picnic and just taking in fresh air and seeing all the magificant stately homes and countryside in our beautiful country and just walking to try and get a bit healthier.    When we went a few weeks ago to see the burnt ruins of a stately home in Worcestershire called Whitley Court, we went into their shop in the entrance where they sell different items to bring in funds for the National Trust like food, wine, books etc and one of the foods that they were selling were jams and raspberry curd which they allowed us to sample and it was delicious.

As I had made some passion fruit curd a few weeks ago and my husband loving it, I just knew that I wanted to try and make this one.

I got home and dug out my passion fruit recipe and just decided that all I really needed to do was swop the fruit and this is the result although I did double the recipe.

  The taste is wonderful however, perhaps a bit sweet so next time I would reduce the sugar slightly.  However not sure about the colour being quite right as what started off as a wonderful red raspberry has ended up as a delicious purple delight.

I put 400g of frozen raspberries in my food processor




and pureed them to an inch of their life.


And I then put the raspberries in a sieve so that my puree was smooth without any pips.


I put the strained raspberries in a pot on the hob together with 280g of butter and six eggs


and added 500g sugar and 4 tablespoons of cornflour



and cooked it very very slowly for a long time stirring continuously to prevent burning and to prevent the eggs curdling.  It barely came up to a simmer but eventually it started to get thick and when it was the consistency of very thick custard.
 I strained it once more to get rid of any stray pips or bits of egg that might have curdled,
  before I poured the curd into steralised jars -
(all three of them).

I left it overnight to cool and set and it was perfect - exactly what curd should look like.

I then went to my Mum with some scones, the curd and some squirty cream 
to get her to try my creation with her morning cup of tea.

And this is what I presented her with.


She loved it although said the colour was a bit strange and bright !!!


Until next time.
Love The Tipsy Tart
xx

1 comment:

  1. That certainly is a vibrant colour & knowing your cooking, I am sure it was fantastic. I think we are so used to seeing lemon curd as ... yellow that another flavour would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete