Monday 12 March 2012

HOT CROSS BUN PUDDING FOR MICHELLE

Michelle today and her two beautiful children,
Justin and Isabelle.
A little story that always makes me smile -

When my younger daughter was about 7, our family went for a trip around America for about 7 weeks or so.  We started in Miami and after spending about a week at Disney World we got in the car and just drove - not really with any aim where we were going but just knowing that by Christmas we had to be in Canada to visit family.

We had a few places that we wanted to see and one of them was to go to New Orleans and see the great Mississippi River.  We managed to get there and also went on a river boat. As it was a freezing day, we sat inside trying to get some warmth and as we were all starving, we also found a canteen selling food.  We ordered a variety of foods but Michelle was the only one who ordered a "Bread and Butter" pudding.  

As we lived in South Africa at the time and generally did not eat heavy puddings - it was something that we had not ever tasted before and something that Michelle had never come across.

So she ate it quietly, finished the lot and disappeared to the lady behind the counter.    She came back a while later with a piece of paper in her hand and said "Mom, because I loved it so much, I went and asked for the recipe and here it is!!!.  The smile - I will always remember...  Although I do not have that recipe anymore, I found this recipe in the latest Good Food Magazine that I get every month and it looked delicious.

So my daughter, this is for you and although it is slightly different to the original one you tasted, I hope you love it as much today as you did all those years ago.




Spread a thick layer of Lemon Curd on 4 Hot Cross Buns.


Beat 2 eggs and then add 200ml double cream, 200ml milk, 4 tablespoon of sugar and the zest of one lemon and about 2 big tablespoons of lemon curd as well.

Mix together and then pour over your lemon curd hot cross buns and leave to soak up all the egg custard for about 30 minutes.


Put in an oven of about 160C degrees for about 45 minutes until it has puffed up and cooked until golden and the custard has set..Leave to stand for a while.
And serve with either custard or pouring cream.  

I hope you enjoy it as much as my little girl did all those years ago.


Love The Tipsy Tart
xx

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum, we always had bread & butter pudding when I was growing up but Mom put jam on the bread to sweeten it which was just fine by me. I saw a similar recipe in the week using hot cross buns ... fab!

    ReplyDelete