Tuesday 6 March 2012

CHOCOLATE PHILLY CHEESECAKE

I love trying out new things in the kitchen and cooking up a storm and nothing makes me happier that being in my kitchen with a glass of wine and music in the background.  Anytime, I can try out new recipes I do so with relish and nine times out of ten, my book of choice, is probably a cooking book.

 So when I saw such a funny ad on TV with Jennifer Saunders advertising a new Chocolate Philadelphia cream cheese that Kraft has brought out, I headed off to my local supermarket with a hop, skip and an excited jump and grabbed four tubs at "Buy One - Get One Free" - only to find happily that each tub contained 86 calories per tub.

Oh my beating heart - even more joy...a chocolate cheesecake would soon be mine to eat guilt free.



However, why settle for plain and boring when decadence is the only way to go and so I created a cake to test my already failing willpower and decided to add a chocolate ganache for the top.



And the following photos are the result of my happy day.  The taste -
all I am going to say is that you need to rush out immediately and buy the Chocolate Philly Cream cheese 
and make it yourself.......












CHOCOLATE PHILLY CHEESE CAKE

400g chocolate biscuits of your choice
50g butter - melted
4 x 160g tubs of Chocolate Philly Cream Cheese
300ml Sour Cream
160g Caster Sugar
4 eggs
200g dark chocolate
284ml double cream
100g white chocolate

Blitz the chocolate biscuits in your food processor and add the melted butter.  Press in the bottom of a greased cake tin and leave in the fridge for a while to firm up.

Add all the filling ingredients - cream cheese, sour cream, eggs and caster sugar to your food processor and combine.

Pour the chocolate mixture on top of your chilled biscuit base and place in an oven heat of about 160 for about 45 minutes.  I also placed my cake tin in a big roasting dish with hot water until it reached halfway up the sides of the cake tin.

The cake should be firm but retain its wobble when it is cooked.  Leave it in the oven with the door slightly open to cool and then chill for at least 4 hours in your fridge or overnight if you can wait that long....

For the topping - I melted dark chocolate and 200g of the double cream in a double boiler until it had all melted together to a delicious goo.   After it had cooled slightly, I poured it over the chilled cheesecake.

I then left it to chill some more - and afterwards melted a bar of white chocolate with the balance of the double cream and made a few squiggles...

I left it again for a while in the fridge to chill a bit more and then tucked in.......and......

HEAVEN WAS MINE!!


3 comments:

  1. it sure does look like chocolate heaven....well done...thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks absolutely fabulous - I have a weakness for cheesecake and this definitely looks like something I would love ... wish you lived around the corner because I would be round like a shot to "taste test" for you xxx

    ReplyDelete