Friday 27 April 2012

PEPPERMINT AND CARAMEL ICE CREAM

Many years ago in South Africa (most of my stories always are) I used to love reading a monthly magazine called Your Family which was full of wonderful recipes, sewing and knitting patterns, decorating tips and lovely short stories.  I would buy it just before I caught the bus home from work and spend a wonderful hour reading it from cover to cover.

The original
The alternative











In one addition, there were about three of four different ice creams that had been entered in a competition and the winning entry was Peppermint and Caramel Ice Cream.  

For those of you that do not know, Peppermint Crisp is a chocolate which most South Africans absolutely love.  Unfortunately is not sold at our local supermarket or corner cafes.  I have however found an alternative which although is not as nice, does satisfy my craving for the original.

I made the ice cream all those years ago and it became an instant favourite and although I cannot remember the exact recipe, I have adapted to what I remember.

 Whisk 500ml of double cream until you reach a lovely wobble....


Add a tin of caramel condensed milk and a carton of ready made custard (about 500ml) or if you are feeling industrious, make your own but make sure it is thick.
Mix all three ingredients together well.


Chop a handful of the peppermint sticks


And add to the wonderful caramel mixture and mix in.
Put in a plastic container and place in the freezer or your ice cream maker if you have one.
When it has frozen, you will end up with a stunning ice cream that was good  enough to win a
national competition.  

Just before you serve it, sprinkle a few extra
pieces of your peppermint chocolate over the ice cream.

It is absolutely delicious and just as I remember it.



I hope you will be tempted to try it.

Love The Tipsy Tart
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment